Did you know the word ‘stress’ didn’t even exist 100 years ago? Today stress is so prevalent that it has been named the “health epidemic of the 21st century”. Sadly, there’s no magic cure to reduce the stress we feel with today’s busy lifestyle. What we can do, though, is combat stress on a daily basis through a holistic approach of taking care of our body, mind and spirit. To live a life that is balanced requires being intentional about the care of these three areas.
What Is Holistic Touch Therapy?
The word ‘holistic’ comes from the ancient Greek word ‘holos’, which means whole. Holistic touch therapy, also known as holistic massage, was designed to treat your whole body. Unlike other therapies, it doesn’t just treat your symptoms, it tries to determine the cause of your symptoms. Holistic touch includes all types of massage techniques, but its goal is to enhance awareness of the mind-body connection by using other forms of touch and healing therapies.
Holistic touch therapy understands that your emotional, mental and spiritual well-being are as important as your physical body. It allows your body’s natural healing abilities to restore health and balance to your entire body.
Holistic touch is an ancient method of healing that works by stimulating blood circulation and clearing the lymphatic drainage system which allows toxins to be released from the body. This massage technique has been used in India, China and Egypt for thousands of years.
What are the Benefits?
Many people think of holistic massage therapy as a luxury they can’t afford or as a rare treat saved for special occasions. The healing power of touch provides so many benefits that it should be included as a regular part of your self-care routine. In fact, Hippocrates, the father of medicine, wrote about the benefits of healing touch in 5 BC. He recognized, even then, the healing abilities of touch and believed that medical doctors should practice the art of massage.
Here are a few of the many benefits of holistic touch therapy:
- Relieves Pain – Holistic touch helps reduce inflammation and relieves pain, soreness and spasms. When the body is stimulated, it produces endorphins which are the natural painkillers in your body. The physical release of muscle tension leads to reduced joint pain and improved mobility.
- Boosts Immune System – Stimulating the lymphatic system increases lymph flow and flushes toxins and waste fluids from the body. This improves your immune system and helps lower blood pressure.
- Reduces Anxiety – It allows you to escape the anxiety and stress of everyday life. The calming environment and healing power of touch leaves your mind, body and soul feeling relaxed and balanced. Stress dissipates like weight lifted from your body.
- Improves Circulation – The kneading movement used in holistic touch therapy improves blood flow and pumps oxygen and nutrients into your body. Blood flow promotes healing.
- Boosts Mental Performance – Holistic massage improves concentration and clarity and helps remove mental fatigue.
How Can Seton Cove Help?
We offer holistic touch therapy seven days a week with a licensed massage therapist. Call today and schedule an appointment to relieve stress and restore the connection between your body, mind and spirit. You can find more information about massage and holistic touch here.